Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China.
The best way to prevent this infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Use an alcohol-based sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
Public Health has been working diligently over the past several weeks with community partners including: hospitals and clinics, emergency managers and law enforcement, schools, counties and cities, businesses, faith-based organizations, etc. We’ve been working as a collective community to be prepared for this emergency.
Links & Resources
The Minnesota Department of Health has recommendations for:
- Individuals and Families
- Schools and Child Care
- Community and Faith-Based Organizations
- Health Care Settings and Health Care Providers.
These recommendations include those who have underlying medical conditions.
The latest information can be found at these reliable sources:
MDH COVID-19 hotline number has changed:
It is 651-297-1304 or 1-800-657-3504 Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
The mental health Crisis line is available at **CRISIS (**274747).
For further local information, please call or e-mail the following:
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Information
Below are resources to be prepared for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Centers for Disease Control
- Minnesota Department of Health
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Factsheet
- Family Communication Plan – English / Spanish
- Emergency Supply List – English / Spanish
- COVID-19: Coronavirus Disease: Prepare now to protect yourself, your family and your business
- Viruses Don’t Discriminate
- MDH Community Mitigation Strategies
- Governor Tim Walz Emergency Executive Order 20-01
- Southwest Health and Human Services COVID-19 Press Release
- Community Partner Letter
- Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- Self-Isolation Recommendations from Minnesota Department of Health
- Travel: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers