Public Health Nuisance Control

Public Health Nuisance Control

Minnesota Statute 145A states that a public health nuisance is “any activity or failure to act that adversely affects the public”. The Public Health Department investigates all complaints and takes appropriate action to remove the nuisance according to the procedures outlined in Minnesota Statute 145A.04 Subd. 8. To file a complaint, please contact the Public Health Department in your county.

Healthy Homes:
On average Americans spend approximately 90 percent of their time indoors with the largest percentage of time spent within their homes. Your home provides your family with comfort and protection; but your home may also have hidden health hazards, such as lead, mold and moisture, carbon monoxide, pesticides, and hazardous household products. Many homes also have safety hazards that may cause physical injuries, fires, poisonings, and other emergencies. Creating a healthier home, whether in new construction or in existing housing, has obvious benefits to your family’s health and well-being.

Keys to a safer healthier home include the following

  • Radon: Radon is a colorless odorless gas resulting from the natural decay of uranium and is naturally occurring in Minnesota soils.  Radon gas enters homes from the soil into your basement and home.  Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.
    • Ordering Radon Test Kits
      Short-term and long-term tests are available at your local Southwest Health and Human Services office.  You may also order a test kit using the attached order form.
      Radon Test Kit Order Form (PDF)

For further information on radon, visit the following MDH web link:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/radon/index.html

  • Mold: Mold is a type of fungus that is present in our natural environment. Mold spores, which are tiny microscopic ‘seeds’, can be found virtually everywhere, including in homes, and are a part of the general dust found in homes. These spores can grow on building materials and furnishings if conditions are correct. Excess moisture is the critical factor in any indoor mold problem. Mold growth should not be tolerated in our homes.  Eventually, the moisture and mold will damage what it is growing on, which may include both the building materials and personal belongings. The key to preventing mold growth is to prevent moisture problems.

For information on mold exposure and advice about finding and removing mold contamination, visit the following Minnesota Department of Health web link:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/mold/index.html